Several years ago, my dad got into roasting his own pumpkins and convinced me that canned pumpkin was a poor imposter of the real stuff. Personally, I think it’s just a heck of a lot easier to peel open a can and go, but now that I’m SCD All The Time, I take the long road. It really does taste better than canned, I’ll give my dad that. It’s way more dense and the flavor is more complex.
Be warned that this is very rich. Hog that I so proudly am, even I can only handle a slice at a time. Plus, I serve it with whipped French cream. I made this for Halloween, but it would also work well for Thanksgiving, of course.
Crustless SCD Pumpkin Pie
2 c roasted and pureed pumpkin (to do this, peel, de-seed, and 1-inch-cube a pie pumpkin, roasting the pieces in the oven at 350F for an hour or two until very soft, then puree in your food processor)
1/2 c French cream (probably dripped SCD yogurt would also work)
1/2 c honey
1 T coconut flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp dried ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter a 9″ glass pie dish.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a bowl.
- Sift the dry ingredients into another bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wets bowl using a whisk, and then pour it all into the baking dish.
- Bake for 55 minutes, watching near the end to make sure the sides aren’t browning too much. If so, cover them with foil.
- Serve with French cream whipped with a little honey.
Here it is just coming out of the oven:
And here it is served with whipped French cream: