It’s my favorite time of year: quince time! I’m starting with about 25 lbs this year. Should be enough to make everything on my list:
- Stuffing for Thanksgiving
A friend of mine has a speakeasy party every December where many attendees bring their homemade hooches to share. I always bring quince, but this will be the first year I’m trying an SCD-legal version. Here’s the recipe I’m using:
SCD Quince Liqueur
4 c or 750 ml vodka
2/3 c water
1 1/2 c honey
2 medium-sized quinces, grated
- Combine the water and honey in a saucepan and bring to a low boil. Boil for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour the vodka into a large jar.
- When the honey-water mixture is ready, strain it into the vodka jar. Straining it will remove any foam. Set the jar aside.
- Wash and dry the quince to remove their fuzz.
- Quarter and grate them, and add to the jar. Should look something like this:
- Shake it well to combine everything.
- Shake it once or twice a day for a week, then put in a cupboard (cool, dark place) for a few weeks, shaking it once a week. Should be ready by Thanksgiving.