This is probably the best thing I’ve made in the last month. I literally licked the plate. The nice thing is the figs can be less than ripe.
Figs in Pork Fat
3 figs, sliced in half
pork belly fat (bacon fat would also work great)
white wine vinegar
- Put a tablespoon of pork fat and a tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Slice the figs in half and place flat-side down in the skillet like so:
- When they’ve browned, turn them over to get them all glossy with fat, then remove from heat and put on a plate.
- In the skillet over low heat, add a teaspoon or two of white wine vinegar and rub your wooden spoon against the bottom of the skillet to get the caramelized goodness off.
- Add a tablespoon of honey to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Drizzle this nectar over the figs and add a small piece of fresh sage leaf on each fig half.