My oh my, have we been BUSY. Too busy to blog! First there was the Scandinavian cooking party I hosted; then I went on a wine tasting tour in the Willamette Valley; and this past weekend, we went to Tacoma to see my brother-in-law ride in a freestyle motorcycle show. All good, but all very busy-busy-busy! I have wanted to blog about all of these things, and more, but have just not had the time. Yep, it’s my same old broken record! But I know it so well…it’s hard not to sing it.
The Scandinavian cooking day occurred as a result of my pal hosting an exchange high school student from Denmark for the school year. My other pal, DHL, has Scandinavian roots. All like to cook, so we thought we’d get together and exchange notes. I hosted and sat around watching all this amazing food being made around me. Yea!
Here are the cardamom cookies that I made as a result of this party. I got completely hooked on cardamom and spent days craving a cardamom cookie before I finally did some research and tackled the cookie myself. This recipe is based on this one.
Gluten-free Cardamom Cookies
2 c Bob’s All-purpose Gluten-free Flour
2 T ground cardamom – what I do is take decorticated cardamom seeds and buzz them in the spice grinder a couple of times: WOW! FLAVOR!
1/4 teaspoon salt
1.5 t xanthan gum
3/4 c butter, softened
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c hazelnut flour
For decoration: sprinkle them with powdered sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 375F and grease a cookie sheet.
- Now take all of these ingredients, toss them in a bowl, and do your best to blend them together.
- They are going to be crumbly, like a pastry crust. Here’s a photo of the finished/mixed batter:
- Now, roll this batter into 1.5″ balls, put them onto your greased cookie sheet, and flatten just a bit with the bottom of a jam jar (or what have you). Bake for 13-15 minutes in 375F oven.
- Sprinkle or roll the cookies in powdered sugar.
The key here is the freshly ground cardamom. It adds an awesome texture and amazing full-mouth flavor. Honestly, this is the best cookie I’ve made in a very long time. But maybe that’s because I don’t allow myself to make cookies very often! I wanted to blog this recipe because I do not want to forget it for Christmas cookies. MMMMM!