I feel like the nutty professor that’s always late, always arriving in rumpled jeans and with post-it notes stuck in her uncombed hair. I’m not really like that, I swear, but my ability to keep my blog updated lately seems to have suffered a major setback. I’m going to blame it on the change of weather we’re (finally) experiencing here in the PNW. It’s really been gorgeous. Even when it’s raining I’m like, hey, it’s 50F! Rejoice!
A few weeks ago I had dinner at Ping. It was awesome. I chose carefully, but still suffered for several days due, I think, to the spice level of several dishes. I won’t be going back anytime soon, but you know what, it was totally worth it.
One thing that was incredible was this toasted black sesame ice cream. I left the place thinking, I just have to make that at home. After a few attempts, I think I’ve perfected the recipe.
And I’m here to tell you: FORGET about using milk and eggs. Just put that out of your mind right now. Coconut milk really is the best possible ice cream-making liquid available to womankind. Of that, I am convinced. Here’s my evidence:
- You don’t have to make the mixture a day in advance. You can just whip up your coconut milk-based ice cream mixture on a whim and toss it into your ice cream maker.
- No fuss with scalding milk and tempering eggs.
- Coconut milk is super allergen-friendly and vegan for all your food freaky friends. Not that vegans are freaky…gawd!! Don’t put words in my mouth!
- It tastes really good and adds a nice flavor to almost any ice cream flavor.
- It freezes so much better than milk-based homemade ice creams. (Actually, this is the very best reason).
Okay, so, just for you, I did look around on the Web a bit for other recipes, just to see what was out there. But they’re all milk-based and we’ve already discussed why you want to use coconut milk, so I’m not even going to link there.
I love this ice cream. In addition to its rich, nutty flavor, there’s this fab texture thing going on with this ice cream that makes my mouth so very happy.
Okay, enough talk and blabber! Here’s the recipe. Let me know if you try this at home.
Toasted Black Sesame Ice Cream
1 can coconut milk
1/4 c toasted black sesame seeds
1/3 c agave syrup
dash of salt
- Put your ice cream bowls in the freezer.
- Toast the sesames in your toaster oven or under your broiler. If you’re doing it under your broiler, be very careful not to burn them. Because they are black, you really have to go by smell here. Buy extra in case you burn your first (few) batches. I tossed mine a few times with a spatula to toast them evenly. Here’s a pic of the finished product.
- Toss all ingredients into your blender. Pulse a few times, wiping down the sides with a spatula between pulses so that you get all the seeds blended. I pulsed a total of 4-5 times.
- Process in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve in your fresh-from-the-freezer, very cold ice cream bowls.
Yes, it really is that easy. Enjoy!